Friday, June 3, 2011

6/2/2011 Update

Zak had a good day today.  We had friends over for dinner and Zak really enjoyed the company and was very alert.  He ate well and looks “normal”.  His lymph nodes were noticeably larger this evening, so the dosage is not quite keeping up.  His body must be really under attack by the cancer to cause his lymph nodes to enlarge so quickly between maximum doses of prednisone.  He seems happy to be alive so we’ll just keep dealing with this a day at a time.
6/3/2011 - Zak giving our friend John a kiss

I have a long list of stories, so I wanted to share another one I’ll call “Runaway Zak”.  If Zak got the opportunity to escape the house or back yard, he was deaf to any commands to halt.  It was like he temporarily went deaf.  Once I chased him for about ½ mile calling to him and the only way I caught him was he stopped to sniff some poop left on the street from another animal.  Another time we didn’t notice he was gone and got a knock on the door asking if we had a black dog.  It was our new neighbors who reported there was a black dog swimming in their pool.  The worst was when a contractor let him escape and I searched the entire neighborhood for him asking the neighbors to help.  I called Craig to come home from work and assist in the search for Zak.  I returned home after searching for about an hour and Craig pulled in the driveway at the same time.  I noticed Zak in the dining room looking out the window at us.  My assumption was that Craig found him and was rounding me up to terminate the search.  Craig was very confused when I asked where he found Zak.  I pointed out that Zak was in the house.  We never knew where Zak had been, but we did surmise that he returned to the house, jumped the back fencing (easy to jump in but too high to jump out), went for a swim to cool down, and came into the house thru the doggie door.  Fortunately after we brought Sally into the family Zak decided to terminate this behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment