Saturday, June 11, 2011

Zak 4/7/2002 - 6/11/2011

RIP Zak
A pet's time on earth is far too short - especially for those who love them.  We borrow them for awhile and during these brief years they are generous enough to give us all their love, spirit, and heart until there is nothing left.

Now that I've cried by eyeballs out and had two margaritas I'll give you the run down.  I called my friend Dr. Deb since Dr. Laura was out of town to see if she would be willing to come to the house if necessary.  We both thought the time was near.  Dr. Deb agreed and gave me her cell number.  Shortly after that, I went to check on Zak and he was laying in the back part of the house.  He was shivering and moaning with every breath.  I covered him up to help warm him and had Craig come take a look.  We both reluctantly decided it was time.

I got in my car and drove up to the hospital where Dr. Deb works to see if she could come down soon or should I just bring him up.  She came right down and Zak jumped up to meet/kiss her - aughhhhhh!  I don't know what to do.  I had agreed that I would walk Zak to the "rainbow bridge" and now I'm conflicted.  Dr. Deb said she can come back and don't feel presured.  I consult Craig and he said that he had spent most of the morning with Zak and it was time.  Zak was in pain, did not want to socialize or be touched.  He needs our help, which is to rescue him from the suffering.  I felt things had changed last night, but they were definitely different this morning.  I just LOVE him too much and don't really want to let him go.

We proceeded - Dr. Deb did a very pleasant and peaceful euthanasia.  We were outside on the patio and Zak's head was in my lap - he just went to sleep.  We then called Fairwinds, a pet cremataion service,which took about an hour.  We had that hour with him laying peacefully on his beach towel and we said our goodbyes.  Sally inspected him smelling his mouth and his junk and seemed to know that he had checked out.  The lady from Fairwinds was very nice and took great care of him.

I want to thank everyone of you who knew and loved Zak.  Your support through this painful ordeal is much appreicated.  Zak, we had a wonderful journey and you will be missed so very much.  
For anyone wanting a pet, please consider adopting.  Zak was adopted as a puppy and seemed to know that we saved him.  He LOVED everyone and left an impression on most all that met him.  He wanted to please, he was smart, compassionate, and beautiful.    
 

3 comments:

  1. He's romping with Freckles.

    Dave & I send our deepest sympathies. Such a hard journey. I only saw him about once a year, but he always made me smile and feel welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP Zak... I cried with you both... he is pain free now and will always be with you.. he always made me smile and gave tons of love... and now I hope I can give some of that back ... Good bye Zak and be at peace

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, my heart goes out to you, Craig, Olivia and of course, Sally.
    Zak will be sending you all kisses, from his cloud above, now that he's crossed over the rainbow bridge.

    Much love and everlasting peace for Zak...

    ReplyDelete